Weed is a flexible plant that can grow in both large and small spaces. If you are planning to grow weed, but do not have a large space, you need not worry, as weed can be grown even in the smallest spaces. Providing proper light and nutrients is essential to grow weed, irrespective of where you grow. It can be grown both indoor and outdoor, depending upon the variant type.
Growing weed in small spaces is an advantage, as you need not invest so much, but get a good yield from minimal space. You can also silently grow weed in small spaces without disturbing your neighbors through its haunting smell or noise. Growing weed in a small space does not mean you will get fewer yields. You can get efficient yields from small spaces by practising some smart methods to grow weed.
In this article, we will discuss how to grow small weed plants in small spaces efficiently. All you have to do is keep in mind a few important factors.
Factors to consider if you want to grow weed in a small space
Growing Cannabis in small spaces is possible, but only with proper care and maintenance. While you grow Cannabis strains in compact spaces, you need to make sure you meet up certain requirements for the plants. Here are some of the factors you should truly consider if you wish to grow Cannabis strains in small spaces.
Plant Size And Genetics
Like you know, each Cannabis strain is unique. Some grow tall, some are short, and some produce pretty flowers, some give an intense smell, and goes on. We can go on listing the unique features of different variants. Therefore, before you choose the weed plant to grow in a small space, you should fully study the plant’s genetics.
Some weed strains are easy to grow, while some require hard maintenance and are not a good pick for beginners. So, choose the strain wisely. If you are a beginner with no experience in weed growing before, opt for ‘easy to grow’ strains.
When it comes to genetics, strains are composed of Indica and Sativa. There are hybrid strains too. Indica strain generally grows up to be a short plant with dense buds, while Sativas are usually tall plants with open buds. Indica is the best pick for beginners, as it requires minimal care.
Some Cannabis strains flower automatically at a certain time. These are called auto-flowering plants. You can also pick them as they are easy to care for and grow as small plants. According to your space, choose the right Cannabis strain.
1. Temperature & Humidity
Temperature and Humidity play a huge role in the growth of your Cannabis plants. Even if you are going to opt for a small harvest, both of these factors are important. In hot air, the humidity will generally be high compared to cold air. The humidity should never be too high for weed growing. The optimal humidity range for Cannabis growth is between 40-50%. If the humidity is up to 55%, it is not bad. Make sure the humidity level never crosses 60%.
The optimal temperature range can be 68-79 degrees Fahrenheit. Cannabis plants require fresh air for cultivation. So, keep the temperature and humidity in the optimal range, while bringing in some fresh air to your Cannabis plants often.
Plants generally take in Oxygen and release Carbon dioxide. So, your weed plants cannot thrive without fresh Oxygen.
2. Space Requirements
Cannabis plants grow well even in the smallest spaces. You can therefore grow the strain in a warehouse, tent, outdoor or greenhouse, depending on your space. But, wherever you keep, you need to give your attention and care constantly.
The space where the plant is kept should always be clean and hygienic. Do regular cleaning and drain out stagnant water. The plant must be protected from plant insects and other external enemies. As fresh air is an important requirement for plant growth, bring in fresh air often.
If the plant is placed inside a small tent, some facilities have to be made for fresh air to come in. Fresh air will keep the plant healthy, aid in faster growth and result in efficient yields. As some strains grow taller, you need to provide optimum space according to the type of strain.
3. Right Placement Of Grow Lights
Lighting is essential for weed growing. Many buy grow lights and install them inside the tent or warehouse or indoor space to aid the plant growth. What you should know is LED grow lights can get very hot while running continuously. Therefore, always place the grow lights at safe distance from the Cannabis plants.
If the grow light is placed very near to the plant, the buds or flowers may burn from the heat produced by the light. In small spaces, it is tough to elevate the lights higher. So, you can keep the plants shorter by pruning and trimming. You can also use temperature control equipment to keep the temperature at an optimum level.
4. Plant Training Methods
For a small grow, plant training methods will help in producing higher yields. The best plant training methods include:
- High-stress training (HST) method
- Low-stress training (LST) method
- SCROG / Screen of Green method
In the High-stress training (HST) method, you should crop or trim the Cannabis plants. This will help in elevating cola sites. Canopy formation is also possible through High-stress training.
In the Low-stress training (LST) method, you can tie the different parts of the weed plant to obtain cola sites.
Scrog method is also called the screen of green. In this method, you can increase your weed harvest even in the smallest space. Before your Cannabis plant’s flowering cycle begins, you got to use a screen to weave the stalks and branches of the weed plant. By doing this, you can help the mid and bottom branches of the Cannabis plant get some light. This method will also make you spread the plant’s branches.
By spreading the branches, you help other parts of the plant get light for efficient grow. You will also be benefited from enough buds. Trim the parts below the canopy to prevent any pests or insects. The buds that receive direct light will produce a double harvest. So, in a small space, you can get a great harvest.
5. Choosing right container
Cannabis plants are either Indica dominated or Sativa dominated. Some strains are hybrid. According to the strain type, the size of the plants varies. Imagine potting a large growing Cannabis plant in a small pot or container. As the plant grows, the roots will develop and find no space to fit themselves inside the small container. You will find the root outgrowing the container and getting bound. This is why choosing the right container for your Cannabis plant is crucial.
If you are unsure what container will fit best for your strain, you can get help online by doing basic research. A 5L container will suffice for a Cannabis plant that will grow up to 60 cm tall. Similarly, for a 24 cm plant, you can buy a 2-3 L pot or container.
The right container will not just be a good home for your Cannabis plant but also result in a great harvest.
6. Maintaining The Root Health
Maintenance of root health is not just a priority for Cannabis plants, but all plants. Roots in plants send nutrients and water to the plant for their growth. Choose the right and quality soil for the plant roots to grow healthy and stronger. The soil should be of sufficient amount to keep the roots happy.
As you are going to keep the plants in a confined space, root health should be constantly monitored. If the roots protrude from the pot bottom, you should shift the plant to a bigger pot or bigger space. The roots should not be exposed openly. If the root is at its healthiest state, you will get higher yields even while growing weed plants in small spaces.
POINTS TO REMEMBER WHILE GROWING CANNABIS IN A SMALL SPACE
Apart from following all the aforementioned points, you got to remember a few points to growing Cannabis plants efficiently in a small space.
- To grow Cannabis in a small space effectively, you can consider growing it vertically by placing the light source in the centre. If you set up this properly, you can get a large amount of yield. You should have enough vertical space for this. As Cannabis plants grow well vertically, you can go with this option with full confidence.
- Cannabis plants need good ventilation for growth. The plant may even die if you do not provide enough ventilation. By ventilation, we refer to the flow of ‘fresh air. There should be a constant flow of fresh air to keep your plant healthy. As you are planning to keep the plant in a small space, do not compromise on the ventilation part, as it is needed for the plant to grow. You can even place a small fan indoor for ventilation.
- Did you know? You can experiment with ‘micro-growing’ in Cannabis. Micro-growing is nothing but harvesting Cannabis in small amounts. This is purely for personal use. If you prefer to obtain small amounts of Cannabis now and then, you can opt for the micro-growing method. For this, the plant can be placed even in your kitchen or bedroom. Make sure the plant gets sufficient light, water, nutrients and ventilation.
- If you are growing weed in a small space, you should always maintain that space clean. Cannabis plants love a healthy atmosphere. They struggle to thrive in a dirty environment. So, once in a day, clean that extra stagnant water, spilt mud, and cleanly trimmed branches. If you keep the environment moist and dirty, it will lead to pests and mold growth, which will affect plant growth and harvest.
- Choose the right pot size for your weed plant. Some people do the best maintenance but end up choosing the wrong container size. This will result in the plant outgrowing the container in which it is kept. Rootbound will also happen due to this. Do good research on what fertilizer is best for your Cannabis strain.
- Too much of anything is good for nothing. As per this quote, too much humidity and carbon dioxide are not good for your Cannabis plant. The plants will produce their food using carbon dioxide and light. But, too much CO2 is not good for the plant’s health. You need to remove the depleted CO2 from the grow area for the healthy growth of your plant. This is why few growers install climate control equipment to remove unwanted CO2. Similarly, humidity levels must also be monitored. Over 60% humidity is dangerous for your plant.
- If you are growing Marijuana plants in an outdoor area, you may use the soil that is already present in your garden. But, while growing it in an indoor space, you should prioritize the type of soil you are going to use. This is because when the plant grows indoors, it will completely get all its nutrients from the soil you us
- The soil type is the main growth factor. So, if the soil is not compatible, plant growth might be affected. Both super soil and complete soil are recommended for good growth indoors. Both these soil types promote good growth and harvest by providing all the necessary nutrients.
Growing small Marijuana plants in small spaces available is not a tough job. Not an easy job as well! You need to provide your attention and care for your lovely little plant to flourish well and produce a good harvest. Keep in mind the points we have mentioned above. If you keep a track of your plant’s wellbeing now and then, in a few weeks you can gain efficient yields as a reward.
A rotating team of writers and editors dedicated to providing reliable information for the readers of American Promise. We’re all passionate about cannabis and actively engaged in this “budding” industry.
- 1 Factors to consider if you want to grow weed in a small space