We all know the fact that a carbon filter is nothing but a big tube that is filled with activated carbon. A carbon filter can emit clean and fresh air. The process is simple as the air passes through the giant tube the carbon content that is present in the tube neutralizes any kind of smells or odours and pushes out clean air. It is very important to ensure that you keep the exhaust system set properly, especially when you plan on using carbon filters. This article will help you understand the process of making a carbon filter for a grow room. Keep reading the article to know more about carbon filters.
Why do grow rooms require carbon filters?
Grow rooms require very good ventilation to keep the room fresh, cool, and moist to make the used air go out. Growing indoors can produce toxic odors and unwanted contaminants from the plants and fertilizers. The activated carbon in carbon filters is excellent in keeping the odors and contaminants under control. It is better to make carbon filters instead of buying them as it can save your hard-earned money.
Carbon filters are nothing but two metal sheets in between there is activated charcoal that helps to cleanse the air. The carbon filter is very easy to make and here are the items necessary to make a carbon filter.
Items necessary to make a carbon filter
- To make the Pre-filter, purchase women’s over-the-knee socks or any over-the-knee high socks.
- The second item is Polyester filter media. It is recommended to buy air star filters air media roll
- The body of the carbon filter has to be covered with the outer mesh with the help of a trash Bin.
- The inner part of the carbon filter has an inner mesh that requires a PVC drain pipe width of 4″X10′.
- To cover the outer part of the mesh a silver wire pencil holder of 4.75″ is required.
- To cover the inner part of the mesh metal pencil holder of 4″ is required.
- Finally the main ingredient, ‘Activated charcoal’ that comes with 8 pack activated Bamboo charcoal is necessary to complete the process.
Other tools that may be required are as follows:
- Measuring Tape
- Drilled machine
- Zip ties
- Drill bit
Before we dive into the direction of how to make a carbon filter? It is important to understand the workings of each part of the carbon filter. Carbon filters can be used to cleanse air and water. There are four important parts of the carbon filter which are explained in detail below
This is the first important part of the carbon filter which is the pre-filter. The main work of the pre-filter is that it allows the air to pass through the carbon filter which tops debris and dust particles from getting into the carbon. The pre-filter is a semi-transparent and breathable filter that is covered around the body of the carbon filter. The pre-filter plays a very important role in the overall cleansing process. It is also important to know that the pre-filter in itself has minimal assistance for the other which helps the filter to let the air go through the carbon bed.
The body of the carbon filters
The main body of the carbon filter consists of the outer mesh and the inner mesh that we saw in the items mentioned above. The outer mesh is made with the help of a trash Bin and the inner mesh is made with the help of a pencil holder. The entire body of the carbon filter consists of the outer mesh in mesh and the activated charcoal. The debris or dust-free air pre-filter passes through the body of the carbon filter which is the carbon layer. At last, the order free fresh air passes through the passage of the pipe through which clean air goes through the flanges.
Carbon plays a key role in the entire filtering process. We all know the fact that activated charcoal has several uncountable holes or pores which can attract the Chemicals inside which in turn emits dust-free or clean air on the other end of the tube. Australian virgin charcoal is considered to be one of the best charcoals, especially for air purifier carbon filters.
Air passage in the carbon filter
A carbon filter consists of a cylindrical passage through which the fresh air goes out between the openings. There are two openings in a carbon filter through which the purified air is emitted. The size of a cylindrical tube can be 4″ to 8″ and this mainly depends on the ducting system of the carbon filter. Ensure that the diameter is appropriately fixed as it plays a major role in the inclined fan.
Directions to make Carbon filter for your Grow room
- The first step is to prepare the pencil holders for the carbon filter. Pencil holders are considered to be the backbone of the carbon filter.
- The holder must complement the size of one another. In other words, the height distance and the diameter match properly.
- Ensure that the diameter of the ducting should match the diameter of the cup.
- Drill small holes, especially on the bottom surface of the cups that you have taken.
- You can drill 7 to 13 holes on each of the cups.
- It is important to be careful while drilling at the cups is made of metals which include aluminum which must be carefully handled.
- In case if you plan on using a drill machine, then it is better to for smaller holes like 5/32
- Ensure that you drill uniform holes on the bottom of the cups which will help them make air transparent.
- The next step is to put both the small cups into women’s knee socks. Stretch the opening of the socks well, so that the cups are inserted properly with ease.
- After inserting the cup into the socks you have to wrap the socks that cover the cup fully.
- Repeat the same process for the other cup and ensure that the cup is covered uniformly.
- Fill the larger Cup with activated carbon. At least half of the larger cup must be covered with activated carbon from the bottom side.
- The most important step is to ensure that the activated charcoal that you are filling the cup must be granulated finely without any lumps. The activated charcoal must be of uniform size before filling the cups.
- In case the cups are filled with the larger size of activated carbons then there are chances that the entire process might get ruined. Make sure to fill the charcoal with uniform charcoal particles for effective results.
- The next step is to seal the cups containing the activated carbon. As you insert the cup filter surface you need to lift the socks to cover the body of the socks.
- Now the activated carbon evenly in between the gaps of the cups
- Hold the socks properly to create more space around cups for the activated charcoal.
- Ensure that there are no spaces at the bottom of the cups. Space at the bottom of the cup should not be present and the thickness of the carbon should be equal.
- Adjust and pull off the socks that are inserted on the inside of the cup. Pull the socks out on the outer area which will make sure that it is completely even. Ultimately by doing this able to provide the carbon filter with the secured end.
- The next step is to attach the cups to the ducting area. Fix the cups to a 4″ fan, which helps your ventilation system
- It is necessary to secure it with a tie or a zip.
Now your newly prepared Carbon filter of your own is ready for purifying the air.
- If you are planning on making a carbon filter make sure not to choose a pencil that has unequal diameters.
- To secure the pencil cups used in the carbon filter can use duct tape.
- It is good to keep changing your carbon filter frequently to keep your grow room odor free always.
There are plenty of carbon filters of good quality available in the market. But making your carbon filter saves time and money. It also ensures your date carbon filter is of good quality. The material cost of items required to make a carbon filter is just one-third of the original price of the carbon filter that is being sold in the market. It is very easy to prepare carbon filters at your home to keep you grow room odor free.
Why do grow rooms need carbon filters?
Grow rooms are expected to have a good ventilation system. Carbon filters has activated carbons that help keep the contaminants and odours under control.
What is the main purpose of a carbon filter?
The Carbon filters are popularly used in grow rooms and grow tents as they help control emissions and reduce odours.
Can carbon filters remove viruses?
Activated carbon filters are not designed to remove microbial contaminants. Therefore, you cannot use it to eliminate viruses and bacteria. They are only effective in controlling odours and emissions from grow rooms.
How frequently should you change your grow room’s carbon filter?
You are supposed to change the carbon filters after every 18-24 months. Since carbon filters are used 24/7, they need to be replaced from time to time. If you use it less, then it can last up to 4 years.
- 1 Why do grow rooms require carbon filters?
- 2 Items necessary to make a carbon filter
- 3 The body of the carbon filters
- 4 Directions to make Carbon filter for your Grow room
- 5 Important Note
- 6 FAQs