One of the quickest and easiest ways to make hash from buds or trim is the dry ice hash. It refers to the process of extracting the psychoactive resin from the buds or trim of the plant. It is a hundred percent organic process and does not involve the use of solvents. This means that dry ice hash made from buds or trim does not involve inhaling any harmful chemicals. Moreover, you go through one of the purest and smoothest cannabis experiences given that the dry ice hash has been made properly. This article provides all the relevant information about making dry ice hash from buds or trim. Therefore, go through this article for learning about the alternative and popular methods for using cannabis.
What is Hash?
Hash is essentially a resin extract, which contains the famous element known as phytocannabinoids. The most popular version of the ice hash consists of the hash made up of THC. However, the extracts, which consist of CBD, are also famous among users. The hash is made out of the resin glands of the female cannabis plant. Not all types of hash found in cannabis plants are similar. Some kinds of hash constitute chemical contents or solvents. For instance, Butane Hash Oil is a popular kind of hash oil that contains significant levels of butane. However, well-made hash products shall not contain any trace of the solvent.
When you opt to use dry ice for extracting the resin, it will leave you with the organic resin without any kind of chemical content. This is because dry ice utilizes no solvent and the carbon dioxide freezes the resin and turns it into gas directly without any kind of residue. Hence, there is no chance for the trim or the bud to get wet. This is one of the best and the safest methods to make hash with the only concern being the careful use of the dry ice.
How to work with Dry Ice?
Before going into the details of making dry ice hash, it is crucial to know about some of the precautions that should be taken before working with dry ice. Furthermore, the user should remember that dry ice is not dangerous, but the chemical compound has an extremely low temperature and turns into carbon dioxide in no time. Therefore, it is necessary to handle with certain preparedness. You can go through the following points to know and understand dry ice and the ways to handle it properly.
- While working with dry ice it is mandatory to be in a well-ventilated space. Dry ice can quickly turn into carbon dioxide, once it starts evaporating. Therefore, it is recommended to operate with the material in a room with good air circulation so that you do not breathe in much of the carbon dioxide.
- The hands must be protected with gloves for handling the dry ice. This is because the highest temperature that the dry ice can reach is – 190°F. This means that in case you touch the ice with your hands, you might sustain a frostbite injury or a burn from such extreme temperatures.
- The third point revolves around the fact that you should not put the dry ice in an airtight container. This is because the dry ice starts changing its state into carbon dioxide in no time. Now, putting the chemical into an airtight container leaves no room for the gas. This phenomenon might lead to the explosion of the container.
- Last but not the least, the proper disposal of dry ice is imperative. It is important to understand that the dry ice cannot be flushed or drained out; as such, an occurrence would lead to the freezing of the pipes. Therefore, it is recommended to dispose of the dry ice in a well-ventilated area where the ice can just turn into carbon dioxide and disappear into thin air.
Materials needed to make dry ice hash
- A well-sanitized bucket of the size of five-gallon.
- Barbecue or Snow gloves.
- 3lbs of dry ice for deriving 6 ounces of hash.
- Bubble bags, pollen, or bubble bags.
- Cannabis bud or trim grounded.
- Scraping tool.
- A flat surface that is even and clean or a tray.
Steps to make dry ice hash from trim or bud of the cannabis plant
- Take the bucket that has been sanitized and put the dry ice and the marijuana into it.
- Take the bag that you have like a mesh bag or a bubble bag and use it to cover the bucket opening. If in case, you are using a mesh bag, then you must make sure that the bag is placed in the right direction with the mesh facing downwards to aid the filtering process, when the bucket is put upside down.
- Take the bucket in hand, shake, and swirl it slowly in all directions so the stalks containing the resin are detached from the bud. You have to continue doing it for around 4 minutes.
- Keep clean and even surface ready.
- Make sure that the bag, which covers the opening of the bucket, is well placed and will be able to hold the contents of the bucket once it is made upside-down.
- Now, turn the bucket upside-down in a single move and make sure that the cannabis and the dry ice do not fall on the ground but in the bag.
- Once the bag is filled with the contents of the bucket, hold it by the top part so that it has no openings, start shaking the bag on an even and clean surface. This will filter the resin out of the mix and it will drop on the surface.
- Shake the bag well so that the dry ice moves around in the bag resulting in the extraction of the resin.
- Stop the shaking once all the resin has been filtered out.
- Keep the bag aside so that it can be used for filtering the cannabis bud or trims. Moreover, the dry ice can also be used for making hash if it remains in solid condition.
- If the bag or the dry ice cannot be used anymore or you do not wish to utilize the ice for making hash anymore, then dispose of the bag off properly.
- Use the scraper tool to scrape off the resin from the even surface. It is wiser to scrape the resin and put it in a pile in the middle of the container.
- Now, put the collected resin in a fresh container.
- Make a repetition of the process if you wish to extract more resins using dry ice.
- Use a new mesh bag for the purpose.
- Moreover, if you make use of a hash bag with a different micron count, repeat the process with the same.
The dry ice hash is ready to be used.
Important tips about making dry ice hash:
- The quality and a micron count of the hash bag matter. This means that the lesser the micron count of the mesh, the higher will be the quality of the cannabis resin extracted from it. One of the ideal micron counts of the mesh bag can be 73-micron which results in powdered resin.
- A hash bag with a 160-micron count will lead to extracts of the plant along with the resin mix.
- If you use other bags, then it is essential to ensure that the holes in the bag that are meant for filtering should be as small as possible for higher quality dry ice hash.
- It is recommended to not pick up the resin that has fallen out of the clean, even surface. This might reduce the purity of the hash and reduce the effectiveness of the cannabis.
- Next, about smoking hash, it is always recommended to mix it with tobacco so that the dry ice hash can be easily burned or smoked.
What is the meaning of the word hash?
The word hash is taken from the Arabic word hashish, which means grass. It refers to the concentrated cannabis that is withdrawn from the marijuana plant.
Can dry ice hash be ingested?
Yes, dry ice hash can be taken orally. Moreover, the oil form in which it comes makes it eligible for being edible. The oil can also be added to food and drink in small amounts.
Can the dry ice evaporate?
Yes, if the dry ice is not kept properly, it can evaporate into carbon dioxide much faster than expected.
The dry ice hash can be made out of cannabis resin in this way. It must be understood here that the quality of the resin powder depends on the hash bag and its micron count. This means the lesser the micron count of the bag; the higher will be the quality of the resin powder, which is collected on the flat and even surface. Moreover, it should also be noted here that the dry ice hash method is one of the easiest and safest methods to take cannabis. Therefore, enjoy the experience safely and with proper precautions.
I’m an avid gardener and cannabis enthusiast. You can usually find me in my garden caring for my plants or at my computer crafting helpful blogs for my readers.
- 1 What is Hash?
- 2 How to work with Dry Ice?
- 3 Materials needed to make dry ice hash
- 4 Steps to make dry ice hash from trim or bud of the cannabis plant
- 5 Important tips about making dry ice hash:
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Conclusion