We occasionally recommend products we love and might be paid a share of the sale.
If you are a fan of cannabis, particularly in edible form, you have likely heard of Stars of Death. If you haven’t heard of Stars of Death, prepare to be intrigued.
If you live in a state where marijuana has been legalized, you are probably familiar with much weaker edibles than Stars of Death.
This is because most states still have a cap on the amount of THC that can be present in edibles and the cap is quite low. Because of this low cap on THC content, you probably need multiple edibles to feel an effect.
This can end up putting people off edibles altogether. This is why Stars of Death edibles exist, to give you a strong high in a single edible.
In this article, we will look at what Stars of Death are, where you can purchase them, and how to make them yourself.
What Are Stars Of Death Edibles?
The short answer to this is that Stars of Death edibles are marijuana edibles that are extremely potent.
These particular gummy edibles started out as an experiment by dispensaries on the black market before cannabis was legalized in California.
The dispensaries were all competing with each other to try and make the most potent cannabis edible that they could.
The name Stars of Death might sound intimidating and exciting, but when it comes down to it, these edibles are simply gummy candies that have been heavily infused with strong cannabis oil.
The strengths of Stars of Death gummies can range from 100mg of THC to 1000mg of THC.
Where Can You Buy Stars Of Death Edibles?
Unfortunately, there is still only one state in which you can purchase Stars of Death edibles, California. It is where they were first made and the dispensaries have kept them there ever since.
One of the main reasons why you can only purchase this particular edible in California is because there are less rules involved.
In terms of potency, anything goes with cannabis oil in California, whereas other states have much lower caps on THC content as mentioned above.
This means that you will only be able to find them in your local dispensary if you live in the area.
Related article: Legality of Marijuana: Guide to Marijuana Legalization
How To Make Edibles That Are As Potent As Stars Of Death
In the interest of full transparency, no one enjoys Stars of Death for their taste. It is purely the potency and the effect of the edible that makes them so popular.
In terms of their ability to manage pain conditions and help you unwind at the end of a long working week, users have often compared Stars of Death to alcohol and other legal substances that are used for the same reasons.
When you are making your own edibles, it is entirely up to you how strong you choose to make them. There are two main methods that are generally used to make Stars of Death edibles at home.
Cannabis oil is the most popular and the method used to make genuine Stars of Death gummies. THC crystals can also be used to make these potent edibles yourself.
It is important to remember that using the amount of cannabis oil required to make these edibles at home is technically considered to be illegal in most states outside of California due to the potency and the caps that are in place.
However, if you are only making edibles for your own private use, you are unlikely to be given any trouble as people won’t know. You should not make these edibles with the purpose of selling them to others.
You should also note that making these edibles yourself is not cheap and the process can be quite lengthy.
How To Make Stars Of Death With Cannabis Oil
The most common way to make Stars of Death edibles is by using cannabis oil or RSO. This is something that you can make yourself at home.
However, it is not an exact science and it can be very difficult to know what the exact THC content is. There are testing kits that you can get to find out how strong your oil is but you can also just use trial and error.
There are plenty of methods online that can help you make cannabis oil or RSO at home.
The strength of the THC in the oil that you make is entirely dependent on the strength of the weed bud that you use to make the oil and the ratio of the decarboxylated weed and oil.
The more potent your cannabis oil, the more potent your Stars of Death will be. Once you have made your cannabis oil, it is time to start making your edibles.
The average Star of Death gummy that is made using this recipe will contain between 250mg to 500mg of THC.
To make your Star of Death edibles using cannabis oil, there are a few ingredients that you will need to get together.
- 3 tablespoons of cannabis oil
- Jell-O (boxed)
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ cup of cornstarch
- 2 gelatin packets
You will also need some specific pieces of equipment to help you make these potent edibles. Chances are that you will already have most of these things in your kitchen.
- Cooking pot
- Saran wrap
- Star-shaped candy molds (any shape will work or an ice cube tray can be used in a pinch)
- The first step in making your potent edibles is to measure the cold water and the cornstarch. Once measured, add both ingredients to your bowl. It is important to use cold water to keep the consistency correct.
- Whisk the water and the cornstarch together until all of the cornstarch has emulsified with the water. There should be no lumps. The mixture should look like a thin batter. Add the mixture to your cooking pot.
- Add both of your packets of gelatin to the mixture as well as the packet of Jell-O. Give all the ingredients a mix to help them combine.
- Turn your stove top onto a medium heat and warm up the mixture for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. At this point all of the gelatin and Jell-O should be completely dissolved into the mixture.
- Remove the mixture from the stove top. Add in the RSO or cannabis oil, and mix the ingredients together until they are well blended.
- Once you have mixed the THC in, pour the mixture into your candy molds or ice cube tray. Make sure that the molds or tray you are using are silicone and lined with a small amount of cooking oil to prevent the edibles from sticking to the molds.
- Leave your Stars of Death gummies to cool to room temperature before sealing them in the molds with the Saran wrap.
- Leave the THC gummies to cool and set for at least 8 hours before consuming any.
How To Make Stars Of Death With THC Crystals
You can also make your own Stars of Death THC crystals. These crystals are incredibly easy to measure on a scale which makes it a more accurate measurement to make edibles with.
However, it is important to note that conversion of THC isn’t quite the same as it is with weed. 1 gram of weed bud generally contains around 20% THC whereas THC crystals are pure.
This means that the crystals are significantly more potent than weed buds, at least 10 times more. Therefore, it is essential that you are cautious when experimenting with these crystals.
The average Star of Death gummy made with this method will contain between 500mg and 1000mg of THC. This is far beyond what should be consumed by a beginner to edibles and weed.
If you are seasoned in the world of THC edibles, you should be okay to try these and know your own limits. Learn all the different ways to consume marijuana.
For this THC gummy recipe, there are a few ingredients that you will need.
- 1 level tablespoon of THC crystals (not heaped)
- Jell-O (boxed)
- ¾ cup of water
- ¼ cup of cornstarch
- 2 gelatin packets
You will also need some tools for this recipe. You should already have most of the tools in your kitchen cupboards.
- Cooking pot
- Star-shaped candy molds (or an ice cube tray)
- Saran wrap
- As with the previous method, pour the cold water and the cornstarch into a bowl and whisk them together. Keep going until the cornstarch has completely emulsified into the water.There should be no lumps at all.
- Add the packets of gelatin and Jell-O to the mixture and stir them a little to encourage them to mix together.
- Add the THC crystals to the mixture and add everything to the cooking pot. Set the pot over a low heat and allow the mixture to simmer gently for around 30 minutes. Leaving the mixture to simmer for the full 30 minutes is crucial to convert the THCA that is inside of the crystals.
- After 30 minutes and once the gelatin and Jell-O has fully dissolved, remove the mixture from the heat. Line the candy molds or silicone ice cube trays with cooking oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Pour the THC liquid straight into the lined molds and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Once the liquid has cooled to room temperature, seal the molds with Saran wrap. Once sealed, allow the gummies to sit for at least 8 hours while they harden and set.
THC Dose Recommendations
The dosage of THC that you should consume is dependent on the amount of THC that you are used to taking. If you are new to taking edibles or use edibles on an irregular basis, you should keep your THC dosage low.
It would not be recommended to start with a full Star of Death gummy. You could also use a lower dosage for your recipe if you want to be able to take a full gummy with less THC.
If you are used to taking multiple, legal, low potency edibles in one sitting, you should have enough of a tolerance to be able to handle a single Star of Death gummy.
You should wait at least two hours before deciding how the gummy is affecting you. You are unlikely to need to take more than one Star of Death gummy, but you might want to top up the effect with a regular, legal gummy.
Remember to always be cautious when experimenting with new edibles. You should always wait for at least two hours before deciding to consume any additional THC in any form.
This allows the edible to begin taking effect and helps you avoid consuming too much. The potency of Star of Death edibles has the ability to throw off even the most seasoned edible consumer.
How Long Do Edibles Last?
If you are used to smoking your THC, you will be used to an instant effect that is relatively short lived. Edibles are effectively the opposite of this.
The effect of the high produced by edibles is much more intense and lasts significantly longer. For some people, the high that is produced with edibles can be overwhelming.
The high that is produced when consuming edibles will last actively for around 12 hours at varying levels. You are likely to peak around 6 hours after consumption.
However, it is possible to feel the effects of the high for up to 24 hours after taking the edible. This is particularly true for edibles that are as potent as Star of Death gummies.
Tips For Taking Edibles
Taking edibles is a different experience from smoking THC and for some people the high can be overwhelming.
If you are new to taking edibles, or are trying potent edibles for the first time, there are a few things you can do to make sure you are safe and comfortable throughout the experience.
If you have never taken edibles before, you should start with a low dose. 10mg might sound like it won’t get you high at all, however, if you have never ingested THC before you could still experience quite the effect.
It is also important to remember that edibles take longer to take effect than smoking THC. you should always wait for at least two hours after taking an edible to gauge the effects.
You can always take more after two hours if necessary but you can’t take less if it is feeling like too much.
Starting with a 30 – 50 mg edible for a regular, casual smoker should be a good place to start. If you have experience with taking edibles, you can try a single Star of Death edible.
Never Take Them Alone
As with any intense high or trip, it is sensible to not take the substance on your own for the first time. If you are experienced with taking edibles and the effects that it has on you, you will be fine to take them by yourself.
When you are inexperienced with edibles and how they will make you feel, it is important to have a trusted person around to help keep an eye on you and keep you feeling safe.
This is also good advice if you are making a big jump in the potency of the edibles you are consuming.
Have Refreshments On Hand
The high that you get from edibles is different from that of smoking THC. You are likely to experience hunger and a dry mouth as the THC takes effect
It will be good to have your favorite drinks and snacks on hand for you to enjoy during the high. Make sure that you are not tempted to consume more edibles while you are high.
Date Your Edibles
When you are making your own edibles, it is important to date them to allow you to know when they are still okay to consume. When the gummies are stored properly in the fridge, they should be good for between 6 and 12 months.
Stars of Death are incredibly potent edibles that are only available in the state of California. They are also easy to make yourself at home with cannabis oil or THC crystals. Make sure to take edibles responsibly.
I’m an avid gardener and cannabis enthusiast. You can usually find me in my garden caring for my plants or at my computer crafting helpful blogs for my readers.
- 1 What Are Stars Of Death Edibles?
- 2 Where Can You Buy Stars Of Death Edibles?
- 3 How To Make Edibles That Are As Potent As Stars Of Death
- 4 How To Make Stars Of Death With Cannabis Oil
- 5 How To Make Stars Of Death With THC Crystals
- 6 THC Dose Recommendations
- 7 Tips For Taking Edibles
- 8 Final Thoughts