We occasionally recommend products we love and might be paid a share of the sale.
If left to grow on their own, cannabis plants can grow quite taller. The ScrOG method focuses more on bringing the low branches upwards and the upper branches downward, to stretch them over an equally distributed surface. By keeping a screen on the top of a higher medium, cultivators can try weaving branches through the net as the plants keep growing more and more mature.
Once these individual branches are redirected, they run through the entire length all over the screen, cultivators can get a flat and horizontally designed canopy. To know more about growing cannabis plants through the ScrOG technique, read this post till the end as it will take you through all the necessary information you must have before starting the ScrOG procedure:
Can growing cannabis in ScrOG be advantageous?
There are several ways in which growing ScrOG can be advantageous and these are the reasons why it is chosen by a lot of people. The advantages include:
- Yielding: As every nit site gets ample light, they increase the potential of photosynthesis, causing an increase in the production of resin and its size. This kind of training can be also used in the transformation of central cola and middle stem into a multilateral comprising of both.
- Exposure to light: By the ScrOG technique, a canopy can be exposed to a greater amount of light. Those cannabis plants which remain untrained feature either one primary col that can rise on top of the leftover portion of the plant which means that the light rig should be somewhere above this site. As a contrast, the light rig can also hang easily on top of every flower in a setup of ScrOG.
- Increased space: Several cultivators can manage for obtaining a higher yield from just one scragged plant in little space than with several untrained and small plants. So with this technique, the cultivators can also increase their productivity. They can also prepare many plants and merge all of them into just one ScrOG.
- Aeration: The horizontally shapes screen of the green gets enough airflow on top and below the plant. You can include a fan for much more enhancement, decreasing the threat of fungal bacteria. Aeration is an integral part of any kind of cultivation method because it keeps the plants safe.
You need to start guiding your plants across the screen once they can make contact with the screen. It is advised for you to position the screen almost 20 cm on top of the plant base so that their growth rate can help you in determining when you can start the ScrOG method. Always start with the tucking procedure as the first part of each plant starts growing across the screen. You must be waiting for every tip so it grows almost 5 cms on top of the screen. Keep proceeding till every shoot gets tucked beneath the screen and start directing them along the next square.
By tucking you can get the base of this process ready so you must be careful about the direction you want the brand to grow in. This process has to be continued through the growing phase. Shift to a light cycle of 12/12 for inducing the flowering part once the screen is filled. Keep tucking and weaving every brand for the consecutive 2-3 weeks as the plants start stretching. This also leads to an increase in growth and it will allow the cultivator to fill the screen before the plants get into the real flowering period and their growth slowdowns.
What are the main factors to consider before you start the ScrOG method?
Though the setups related to ScrOG might appear a bit complicated, the technique needs a bit of work. Even if there is not so much experience it expertise that you have in cultivating cannabis, you can dive into the method and get effective results. Here are a few bets important factors that must be considered for a good cannabis harvest:
Choosing the suitable strains
Regardless of whether they are trained or not, cultivating must choose the strains as per their requirements, climate, and space available. Few genetics have higher compatibility with this technique than the rest.
- Flexible Sativa: The cultivars that are dominant in Sativa are mostly tall, lanky, and flexible. Cultivators can grow these very easily by filling out a ScrOG setup. You can also choose small and voluminous strains for doing the same. Just ensure to use more plants for increasing the capacity of the space.
- Marching the strain: Cultivators can try different strains in a similar setup of ScrOG for a unique range of flowers. Try to select the strains that can reach up to the same average height to reduce the work you need to do.
Choosing the suitable pot
You will also have to choose a proper pot size for better optimization of growth. This factor can change based on the number of plants that are to be incorporated with the ScrOG. These are the factors to be considered:
- Fabric pots: This technique can slowly enhance the aeration level of the canopy by a fabric pot which can largely increase the aeration of the increasing midway. There are many lots of Fabric pots that comprise an Aqua layer of breath causing an increase in the level of oxygen and retention of moisture.
- Single plants: One can also cause an impact crease in the size of the pot when just by using one plant in the setup of ScrOG. A 24l pot will also provide the plant ample space to create a long-lasting root system and greater canopy.
- Multiple plants: For growing many plants in a lower space, you must consider spacing. Due to this reason, every plant will need a small pot.
- Check the size and height of the screen: It is not difficult to build a ScrOG screen. Flat-packed furniture can also be used as a screen for the ScrOG setup. The size depends on the number of plants you have to grow and their size as well. The canopy requires to be evenly placed so that an oversized screen can lead to fewer problems than an undersized one.
For those who are not sure about the dimensions of the screen, you can use a measuring tape to take note of the dimensions of the screen. There are many other ways by which you can record the size and height of the screen that you are going to use to prepare the ScrOG setup for cannabis plants.
How to follow the ScrOG procedure?
The seedling procedure happens for a few weeks and then the plants will come to a vegetative process. One is also required to check his list for ensuring each plant which is very much compatible when it is using the ScrOG procedure. So let us discuss few methods of ScrOG methods. They are as follows:-
- Set Up: The position of the screen will be 20 to 40 cm which will depend on the kind of plant which you have selected for growing. The light should be fall in that way which may offer light in the screen.
- Topping: The plants will form five nodes where one needs to top the plant with the topmost node. Use a sharp scissor and cut the important stem above the intersection. This method also pushes the plant to change the growth of various stems to oppose one of the stems. Thus its focuses more on lateral growth by using the ScrOG method.
- Pruning: It also cut the branches from the point from where the plant will be topped. This may push the plant to shift all kinds of energy to the canopy. It also requires the necessity of water and supply. It also swipes off the plant to free all kinds of resources.
- Weaving: The branches cannot act as vines and will manually weave to the screen. It also involves individual branches which can crowd all types of overcrowding. The person has to be gentle so that it can be very effective. One must keep weaving the flowering phase when the screen is getting filled.
- Maintenance: Sometimes the cannabis plants often get distressed by the continuous going of the ScrOG method. One must keep in his mind to water immediately after doing every weaving session. One must keep his plants to be properly maintained with all types of optimal food to avoid any kind of problems.
So, this was everything you should know about how to ScrOG Cannabis Plants. There are many different methods of cultivating cannabis that is particularly used by home cultivators. There are few very important things to consider before starting the ScrOG procedure and ideally, one shouldn’t miss out on even any one of these steps. For a good harvest, make sure to follow all the above-mentioned steps so you can be assured about a fruitful output from all that you invest.
A rotating team of writers and editors dedicated to providing reliable information for the readers of American Promise. We’re all passionate about cannabis and actively engaged in this “budding” industry.